What is Cataract :
Cataract is the cloudiness which appears in the natural lens of the eye primarily as a result of normal ageing process. Due to this the light is scattered when it reaches the retina and visual disturbances occur.
Cataract is generally characterized by painless progressive loss of vision.
- Cataract is generally characterized by painless progressive loss of vision.
- Medical – In very early stages some medicines can be given to slow down the progression of the cataract and symptomatic improvement
- Monofocal IOL – In this type of IOL, vision for distance is made better and for near work glasses would be required
- Extended Depth Of Focus (EDOF) – The latest in the line up of the IOLs is the EDOF lenses which give excellent vision for distance and intermediate work without the sometimes disturbing effects of the multifocal IOLs
- Multifocal IOL – As the name suggests, these IOLs are deisgned to give the patients good vision at all the 3 distances – distance, intermediate and near
- Trifocal – They are the kind of lenses which give excellent distance, intermediate vision and near vision but there may be gaps in between these distances.
- Continuous Range of Vision IOLs – The most advanced IOL designed today combines two technologies to give a continous range of vision over all distances with much reduced glare and haloes at night.
5. Your doctor will discuss the best IOL for you depending upon your requirements, your job profile and other co existing conditions like diabetes, hypertension etc.